CJT Company was founded by Cary J. Tutelman in 1981. As a consultant, Cary works with family owned and closely held businesses in transition, guiding them through the many and complicated aspects of ownership, management, board and family issues that transition brings. He specializes in designing, implementing and integrating ownership and management plans.
Cary differentiates himself in four ways:
Integrity is of supreme importance to Cary. He employs a careful, hands-on approach, understanding the far-reaching and lasting effects his work has on his clients' success.
- He has a problem solving and conflict resolution approach to resolving family business issues - not a therapeutic approach. Many family business owners want a third party to help them discuss and resolve their issues, but do not want therapy or counseling. His focus is on the present and the future, not the past.
- He focuses on current and future owners, rather than the family. Owners need to develop a plan that details their values, needs and goals, agree on how they will work together and how they will involve family members. Cary ensures that they understand, prepare for and perform these ownership responsibilities.
- He focuses on transition planning and implementation rather than succession planning. Transition plans detail what has to be done, by whom, by when and how well in order to accomplish the succession plan. Cary makes sure that the transition plan is realistic, implemented and followed through so clients can see the results.
- He focuses on integrating ownership, management and family plans. He makes sure that each group's goals are consistent, their roles and responsibilities are clearly defined and the way they work together is clearly laid out. If the plans call for significant management changes, he helps management implement their plans and accomplish their goals.
When clients work with Cary, they can expect him to:
- Be mindful of the consequences of his actions
- Create a safe harbor for discussions to take place
- Raise people's standards for communication and behavior
- Have very high standards of personal integrity
- Find creative solutions where there appear to be none
Cary Tutelman Bio
Cary is experienced in managing complex, company-wide and multi-generational projects. He emphasizes the development, implementation and integration of owner and management plans as well as the importance of defining clear board arrangements and processes. Cary understands that every business is unique, with a unique path to success, and tailors his approach to fit the specific goals of each client. He works with owners, managers, directors and family members to ensure that changes become part of the new way of thinking and the new way of doing things.
As a founding member of the Center for Family Enterprise at the University of St. Thomas, Cary serves on their Board of Advisors and chaired their Professional Advisory Committee, which helped family business professionals learn to better serve their clients.
As an experienced speaker, Cary has presented many international, national and local seminars and workshops to family business, legal, financial, banking, psychological, entrepreneurial, sales and trade groups. He is co-author of the book, The Balance Point.
Cary is a member of the Family Firm Institute (FFI), is on the teaching faculty, has been on the curriculum committee and has served as a mentor.
Cary earned a Ph.D. in Organizational Communication with a minor in Business from the University of Washington in 1980. He was an Adjunct Professor in the MBA program at the University of St. Thomas from 1985-1995, where he taught courses in management.
Kathy Ramisch Bio
Kathy Ramisch has been with CJT Company since 1994. She is the office manager, does all the bookkeeping and is Cary's spouse.
She earned a B.A. in Psychology from the University of Minnesota in 1972 and an M.A. in Library Science from the University of Minnesota in 1978. Kathy has 17 years experience in the area of corporate philanthropy and over 17 years experience in the areas of bookkeeping and operations.
Kathy is exceptional at supporting Cary and CJT Company clients.